Created by the Ministry of Mines, Mine Town is the centre of commerce for the mining community.
About Mine Town
With approximately 2,953 persons living in this self-sustaining town that has the majority of its daily visitors coming into town to do business from areas outside of the MYTCL copper mine, there is no need for a CSD Representative. There are 407 permanent employees from the previous mining enterprises, 369 contract employees and another 19 casual labourers comprising a total 795 persons employed at MYTCL, constituting 26.92% of the town’s total population working within the mining organisation.
- There is 1 High School; the town is managed by MEHL – Myanmar Economics Holdings Limited and is not a part of the operations of MYTCL, it fully supports electricity; water resources and water purifiers are provided by MYTCL; there is also a library, Copper Mine Basic Labour Organisation Office, an Environment & Community Activities Centre and an Institute Society that have been donated through the budgets of MYTCL for Community and Social Development Projects.
- The town also supports a small fire department managed by MEHL.
- MYTCL has developed and manages a Mine Town Hospital that is used for all employees and family members for emergency care, as well as performs annual check-ups, x-rays, dental care, childbirth and some small surgeries for general healthcare of the mining community.
- Mine Town manages 1 Monastery named Mine Myoe Oo.
- The Head Monk of this village is U Thargaya.• The elected Village Administrator is U Tin Aung.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Mine Town has, for the most of its history, been supported in full by the owners of the mine. From electricity extension, water maintenance, road repairs, building maintenance and social programs, the Monywa No.1 Copper Mine, now known as MYTCL has been the foundation of care for this town’s infrastructure and internal growth.
Since 2013, Management has begun the careful consideration for the life of the townspeople, the sustainability of the town and the economic impacts that will occur once the mine has experienced closure. Going forward and into the future the development of SME Projects and Sustainability Programs will be the key focus of CSR for the Mine Town of Myanmar Yang Tse Copper Limited.
Community & Social Development
In 2015-16 the budget for Mine Town increased from the previous year to more than $25,000 USD including an ambulance and furniture for a variety of social areas. In the 2016-17 budgets totalled $11,215 USD and a focus was placed on sports equipment for the Kindergarten and completion of the Mine Town School Hall.
Water pipelines were also extended to the Head Monastery. In 2015-16 the budget for Mine Town increased to more than $25,000 USD including an ambulance and furniture for a variety of social areas.
As the Mine Town is owned and operated by MEHL, the CSD projects that are required are mostly arranged through this organisation and MYTCL supports their requests as required. From time to time the townspeople request directly to MYTCL and donations are made outside of the CSR & CSD Project structure.